Home > Accidents > Involved in an Accident With Another Vehicle?

Involved in an Accident With Another Vehicle?

By: Sally Aquire - Updated: 26 Aug 2012 | comments*Discuss
Driving Accident Collision Insurance

What should you do if you become involved in a road accident? There are practical steps you need to take.

What Should I do?

If there is damage to someone else's vehicle or property, you should exchange the following with the owner of the other vehicle:
  • Registration numbers
  • Names and addresses
  • Details of the owner if not yourself
If you exchange details, you are not obliged to report the incident to the police as long as no-one is injured.

If the collision does result in injury to any passenger, you must also give insurance details and report to the police within 24 hours.

What Happens When I Report The Collision?

You will need to speak to a police officer. This may involve waiting for someone to become available.

You will need to provide your driving license, Insurance and MOT certificate. Failure to do so within a practical time period can lead to prosecution.

Do I Have to Make a Statement?

At the police station you may be required to give your version of events in a statement. This does not necessarily mean you will have to be a witness in criminal proceedings. If that is required, a Witness Citation will be issued as written confirmation.

What do I do if The Other Driver Wasn't Insured?

Compensation for injuries sustained in a road accident usually relies on insurance.

If the other part was not insured, you may be able to claim compensation from the Motor Insurers` Bureau. They take into account claims for personal injury caused uninsured and untraced drivers.

Be aware that you can only claim once for the same accident. You cannot claim on your insurance and against an offender.

If a stolen vehicle is insured by the real owner, personal injury and damage to property claims must be handled by the real owner's insurance company.

Should I Contact my Insurance Company?

Most insurance companies request that you inform them about accidents even if a claim is not being made or who was to blame. You will be sent a motor accident report form to complete.

Can I Get The Other Driver's Details From The Police?

Under the Data Protection Act, the police are limited in the information about road accidents that they can give out.

If your road accident is being investigated, you can request the following:

  • The Accident File computer reference number
  • The Identification Number of the reporting officer
  • The Station at which the reporting officer is based
These details will let your insurance company get information about the incident from the police.

Will I be Prosecuted?

Not necessarily. To be brought before the Court there needs to be a clear indication of careless driving or driving without due care and attention.

My Car is Damaged. What Happens Next?

Due to road safety, a damaged vehicle must be taken away as soon as possible. The police may organise a Managed Vehicle Recovery Scheme Contractor to remove the vehicle. You are accountable for any charges. You can select your chosen garage to attend if they can meet the call out time.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments