Home > Ask Our Experts > Should I Report the Uninsured Driver to the Police?

Should I Report the Uninsured Driver to the Police?

By: Tracy Wilkinson - Updated: 17 Jul 2016 | comments*Discuss
Hit By An Uninsured Driver Insurance


In June 2008 my car was hit at the front and from the rear in an accident. No persons were injured. My car was a write off. The driver of the car that was at fault and hit the front of my vehicle was... uninsured!

My insurer is withholding the excess and since the driver was uninsured, they will hold me at fault and will load up my future premiums.

I have photographs of the accident site, and details of the guilty person's address and telephone number and his car. Should I report this person to the police?

(Mr Leonardo Monno, 5 October 2008)


It's bad enough being involved in an road accident when it's not your fault - but then to find out that the person who is at fault is breaking the law and driving while uninsured is the icing on the cake! You certainly shouldn't be held at fault as your car was involved due to the uninsured driver - but fault claims mean that you pay higher premiums in future, so if the uninsured driver doesn't come forward, you can end up in this situation.

So What Happens if the Other Driver is Uninsured?

It's not always clear what will happen if the other driver in an accident is uninsured, but it will be detailed somewhere in your policy. It's a growing problem in Britain with an estimated 5% of UK drivers taking to the road without insurance, and so insurance companies are becoming more and more aware of the need to protect innocent drivers involved in no-fault accidents with those driving illegally.

If you are fully comprehensively insured then any damage caused to your vehicle will be covered by your policy, however you will be expected to pay out the agreed excess and you may also end up losing your no claims bonus into the bargain.

If you have a third party policy then you won't be covered for any damages caused to your own car, but your insurance company will still need to be told about the situation and Witholding this information could invalidate future claims.

What Should I do if this Happens to Me?

If you are involved in an accident with a driver that doesn't have insurance, you should take the following steps:

  • Get in touch with the police asap
  • Get the driver's details and if different, the owner's: this includes name, address, registration number and details of their insurance policy
  • As soon as you can, call your insurer and ask them to check the Motor Insurance Database to check the details you have been given.
  • Take photographs of the scene, even mobile phone photos will be sufficient.
  • Don't discuss fault or blame with the other driver, as they may use that in their defence if it ever goes to court
  • Get witnesses if possible.

Even if you do all the things listed above, if the driver is in a stolen car, or just goes missing, then it can be incredibly hard to track them down, and many motorists are left high and dry and out of pocket when they end up in this situation.

In your case, it sounds as though you did everything right, except not involving the police straight away. You have photographs of the accident and all the details needed to identify the culprit and where he lives. You should contact the police immediately, and tell them what happened. They can take it from there, investigate whether or not he was insured, and then it's up to your insurance company to get it sorted out for you. After all, it's what you pay them for - make them work for your money!

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Stud - Your Question:
I have Checkedthe insurance database about a motor vehicle a Citroen Saxo colour green re number V737LCX it as no insurance and is being driven around Dudley hill Bradford its owner lives at 69 Compton street Dudley hill Bradford west York BD4 9Ne

Our Response:
Report this to the police.
SaferMotoring - 19-Jul-16 @ 11:18 AM
I have Checked the insurance database about a motor vehicle a Citroen Saxo colour green re number V737LCX it as no insurance and is being driven around Dudley hill Bradford its owner lives at 69 Compton street Dudley hill Bradford west York BD4 9Ne
Stud - 17-Jul-16 @ 6:38 PM
I was hit by a car when I stopped at giveway lines. they went right into the back of my car at force. At first she said she wanted to just pay for my damaged car and went to give me her num, when I said that was fine if she wanted to do that but I still wanted her details as backup she turned rude and aggressive towards me and only seemed bothered about her damaged car, after a 10min standoff I finally managed to get her details after threatening to call police. These detailed turned out tobe false, name. addresse and insurence company all incorrect. I personally got the car details but no photos. Police and my insurance have both found the car to be insured by tescos but with a different name to the one she gave, is the policy holder of that car held responsible even if they werent driving? been informed by insurance that car will get sorted but I would lose my no claims, been informed by my garage that once car is looked at by insurance it will get written off as all underneath car has been shunted to much, Any help is welcomed.
ginge - 19-Aug-12 @ 10:44 PM
There is an uninsured driver driving about my area what should I do shop him to the police or not as I dont want to be known as a grass as my area is a rough area what should I do I have been shopped before for driving without insurance and realised it was wrong especially if I hit a child
mysteryman - 30-Jul-11 @ 5:30 PM
The police should be able to catch uninsured drivers
none - 4-Jun-11 @ 6:27 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments